Oats So Supernova
And one of the priorities we mentioned was is a change in diet. We highlighted a few things you could include in your diet to help your body through the colder months, and one of our favourite, easiest and most accessible additions to our daily diet is O A T S.
Why? Because they are nutritious, delicious and made even better with Supernova…
W H Y O A T S S H O U L D L E A D T H E W A Y:
- Oats are high in the soluble fibre beta-glucan, which has numerous benefits. It helps reduce cholesterol and blood sugar levels and promotes the healthy gut bacteria that is essential for your mental and physical health.
- Wholegrain oats encourage slower digestion. Foods that take longer to digest can help raise your body temperature and make you feel warmer, so its perfect timing to include them into your diet. The medical term for this process is thermogenesis, which is the process of your body producing heat caused by food metabolising.
- The slower digestion also increases fullness and provides sustainable energy in between meals.
- Oats help to lower cholesterol and stabilise blood sugar.
- They are high in insoluble fibre which improves intestinal health.
- A variety of antioxidants known as avenanthramides are found exclusively in oats. Avenanthramides have been shown to exhibit anti-inflammatory and anti-itching activity, and may provide additional protection other diseases.
- Oats provide important vitamins and minerals including thiamine, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, manganese, selenium, and iron. They also contain more protein and fats than other grains. Altogether, these qualities make oats the most nutrient dense foods you can eat.
- Iron in particular is an important mineral to help carry oxygen throughout your body. People with low iron may notice cold hands and feet or feel tired easily. Increasing your iron intake can help blood transport oxygen around the body, increasing your inner temperature and alleviating fatigue.
- All of this, and they are naturally gluten-free!
B A L A N C E in a bowl… S U P E R N O V A P O R R I D G E
40g wholegrain organic oats
10-15g Supernova Life Powder (one scoop)
200ml dairy-free milk (we use almond, oat or rice- without gums)
10 g (one teaspoon) ground flaxseeds
Sprinkling of coconut sugar (for crunch)
Drizzle of Oatly cream
Frozen berries / fresh figs
1. Add the oats, flaxseeds and milk to a pan set on a medium heat. We want our oats to be super creamy and to retain as much of the nutritional benefits of each ingredient as possible, so cooking low and slow is the way.
2. Stir occasionally until the ingredients combine and the mixture goes creamy don’t over stir as it can go gloopy!
3. Once its started to thicken up, pour in frozen berries and allow them to thaw slightly. Or add them on last if you like an icy element!
4. Add 1 scoop (10-15g) of Supernova Life Powder and mix until all the ingredients have combined and warmed in the pan.
5. Once the porridge has reached your desired consistency (you can add more milk if you prefer it that way), remove from the heat and pour into your favourite bowl. Top with your favourite nuts, seeds, fresh fruit or raw dark chocolate for some morning indulgence.